Event starts Monday, March 18
LANSING, Mich. — Sen. Kim LaSata announced Tuesday that the popular Southwest Michigan Spirit Tournament is back and will start on Monday, March 18.
“I am excited to carry on the tradition with this year’s Southwest Michigan Spirit Tournament,” said LaSata, R-Bainbridge Township. “The #SWMISpirit tournament has been a huge success over the years, with strong participation from all of our area school districts. We hope to continue that success, and I encourage students, parents, alumni and members of the community to join the fun, share your pictures, and let’s prove again that no one has more school spirit than Southwest Michigan.”
The first round of this year’s competition begins on Monday, March 18 at noon and will go through noon on Friday, March 22. The entire competition will end at noon on Friday, April 19 and the champion will be awarded like previous years.
LaSata said that the tournament rules have changed for 2019:
- The 31 high schools in the tournament will be divided into four brackets.
- Each school will be assigned its own unique photo album on LaSata’s Facebook page for the opening round.
- Only the photo albums of each winning school from each round will advance to the next round.
- Participants will post their photos within their school’s photo album in the comment section. Use of the #SWMISpirit hashtag is encouraged.
- Bonus points will be given when others “like” and comment on a school’s photo album.
- Fans can also earn points for sharing LaSata’s posts about the contest.
- Points may also be earned by voting in polls on the senator’s Facebook page and at StateSenatorKimLaSata.com.
Please contact LaSata’s office at 517-373-6960 or by email at SenKLaSata@senate.michigan.gov with any questions.